Thursday, May 29, 2014

Ellison at Eighty

 
You read that correctly!  Harlan Ellison, as of May 27th, is eighty years old!  Talk about something making you feel ancient!

Ellison really defined my appreciation of the science fiction genre, in the late 60s and early 70s, with works like the Dangerous Visions that he edited, "Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman", I have No Mouth and I Must Scream, "A Boy and His Dog" oh and one of my all time favorites the Star Trek episode "The City on the Edge of Forever".  (I am not alone on this one.  Many people consider this episode of Star Trek, the best one of the 79 episodes produced. 

Oh you have got to read the Wikipedia article on Ellison HERE

4 comments:

btonym said...

Live even longer and prosper, Mr. Ellison. One of the all-time greats of the genre!

btonym said...

Granted, "The City on the Edge of Forever" is one of the best of the original series, despite some editorial problems. Mr. Ellison is a genius of the genre!

Beam Me Up said...

Well said bto well said. As you can guess from the program, I was floored by the fact that he was 80! He has just been one of those timeless entities of my youth that I never considered aging, but then there it is.

Beam Me Up said...

BTO
I know the show played fast and loose with history (I just put it down to a possible parallel universe, and proceeded to suspend belief) and I know Ellison pitched a fit on more than one occasion. What else ya got?