Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Book banning

          On the topic of Banning, let’s look at it this way. And there is only one way. Books should not be banned, period. Now, before I get yelled at here, let me say there is an exception. There are books that do not belong in certain places, though this should not mean they should be banned. Here is one of my points on this. You don’t need to ban, let’s say, Logan’s Run from the teachers reading list in kindergarten. No, I’m not touching any of the ones listed, but just using an example of a book I am very familiar with. And also of a Dystopian society. Common sense says it’s not a book for that age. And no one would read it to their kids at that age. Yeah, I went a little extreme here to prove a point. One is common sense, and the other is an attack on the principles we should all be standing for.
If you don’t want to read a book, then don’t read it. To ban a book because of disagreeing with what it says is not a good idea, especially for a society that is supposed to pride itself on freedom of expression, acceptance of art, and promoters of knowledge.
Any book that is lost, any writings that are lost are a loss to who and what we were for one thing. And yes, I said “WERE’” not are. Think about the great classics from the past that we would never have enjoyed had they been banned for whatever silly reason that someone found to disagree with. Let’s see, Moby Dick, The Time Machine, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, A world Out Of Time, Logan’s Run. All and any become targets when it begins.
Now why did I put Logan’s Run, and A World Out Of Time in there I am sure quite a few of you are wondering. Because I am allowed to put in there ones that I consider of a personal classic for me, same as all of you are, and should have done. Doesn’t mean I have to like them at all, or agree with them. Or you mine. A book, especially science fiction, fantasy, and so forth in our particular genres here, are books of fiction, regardless how many times we each wish we could go to someplace else, like the Enterprise for an example. That’s what they are supposed to do, or make us not want to go there. But either way, for a short time we get too, by allowing another’s work and art to take us there.
That comes from freedom of thought that we have that allows us to find ideas, and concepts from others as well. You can’t be against thinking.
And how much was once only science fiction that is now reality. And you know what is really strange about that. It seems to be in the order things like Lasers, (Laser eye surgery for example), cell phones and fast communication by computers that you carry in your hand to work and to play, and possibly save your life in an emergency.
We especially know what it means to ban books and ideas. Forget the science fiction aspect for just a moment, and let’s look at science. Let’s look at the ideas of banning ideas and papers and theories. And I believe I can do it with the name of one man.
Galileo Galilei, born on February 15th 1564.
Now on to this disturbing topic of  book burning. Well that is easy and simple as well. See above.  No. I won’t even bother explaining this, as there is no need to. You don’t burn books, period, and end of story. I will repeat what I said earlier, altering only one word in my statement.
If you don’t want to read a book, then don’t read it. To burn a book because of disagreeing with what it says is not a good idea, especially for a society that is supposed to pride itself on freedom of expression, acceptance of art, and promoters of knowledge.

4 comments:

Beam Me Up said...

Right on Kall, I didn't edit a thing. Your words were too powerful and I didn't want to sully the message.


Damn STRAIGHT!

Dave Tackett said...

Well put.

kallamis said...

Thanks guys. It is a definite sore spot with me on this subject. I just kept it straight, logical, and simple here this time. And even managed to hold my own emotions in check here,. Spock would be proud of me on this one.

Beam Me Up said...

Well, when I came across it...the handling was, I know this happens, but I will just try to to make anyone upset. By the time I was done... well, the program tells the tale...

Kall set the nails, fore show