Friday, February 15, 2013

Fast weekly rundown

This is nothing more than a quick list of things put out this week, and anything new that has happened of interest.
So lets start with the two most recent events.

1. A meteorite the size of a bus apparently, came apart over the Russian city of Chelyabinsk, doing extensive damage, and injuring perhaps as many as a 1,000 people do to flying glass and debris. Initial reports state that the explosion was equal to a 2.7 magnitude quake.
It is not believed to be connected in any way to the approaching asteroid, such as a piece of it or anything due to the trajectory of the meteor. It didn't travel south to north as the asteroid will be traveling.

2. For all those interested, Harrison Ford has apparently been confirmed to be a part of Star Wars 7.  Wonderful. Han Solo in the old spaceman's home. He's 71 now for crying out loud. (Don't  get me wrong, I love Han, and Chewbacca, and the Falcon. It's just a lot of the other silliness I have trouble with). 

3. NASA has confirmed that the target date for the next SpaceX resupply mission to the ISS is scheduled for March 1 at 10:10am EST. It is to launch from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

4. At 2:25pm ESt today Friday, Asteroid 2012DA14 will pass the Earth at a distance of 17,150 miles, (27,600 kilometers).

And there is probably a lot more but it's been a busy week for me. But I may start doing this every Friday or maybe Thursday now. 
Let me know what you all think about a quick run down of weekly science and sci-fi news. And if you all think this is a good idea, I'll include links as to where the articles are, or the information can be found next time. Like I said, very busy week here. And I'm sure a week will be enough for even me to figure out how to properly put a link in these things. 

No comments: