Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Meet the Marine's LS3

Remember that walking monstrosity from Boston Dynamics called Big Dog.  The unit with an engine that sounded like an angry wasp's nest and along with a weird gait made for more than just a little humor.  Well not to be caught sleeping, BD has developed a unit for the Marines with the designation LS3.  It is much larger than the earlier prototype, quieter, capable of carrying 400 lbs., can move autonomously but also takes voice commands.  However it looks for all the world like a headless cow, a headless robo-cow.
 
Testing will continue on through 2014.....wanna bet how long it will be before we see films of this thing with either horns or a cow tail...  Not long I suspect.  Or hey, does this mean the end of cow tipping?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonder how long before we see Youtube video of someone trying to ride that thing :) and I agree it's quieter, only slightly less creepy.

kallamis said...

I've always wanted battle cat. Since I can't breed one, this would work I guess, with a few tweaks that is.
Lets see, fangs, a saddle, and a serious attitude. Lets put AI of a real cat in this thing, and let me play with it.
And don't say I didn't warn you when I ride over the hill never to be seen again.
I'll have to watch the videos later. I saw one awhile back, and it looked cool.

Beam Me Up said...

oh hey, that's a Val Kilmer Mars movie! They called the damn thing sweetie right?

kallamis said...

Oh hell. I'd forgotten about that movie. Yeah, I think they did call it sweetie or something like that.
That was Red Planet right?

Beam Me Up said...

I think so yep, been awhile since I saw it last, but that sounds right.

Beam Me Up said...

anon I like the way you think! Now you know there just HAS to be a vid buried so deep that no one will ever see it, of one of the developers riding it like a rodeo....bets?

kallamis said...

Not from me. You know what I would have been doing the entire time.
Now I will take bets, but only if I get the "someone rode that sucker" side of the bet.

Beam Me Up said...

money in the bank Kall

Pellmell said...

Oh man now I hear "The Tower That Ate People" when I watch that vid(speaking of Sweetie). I'd lay odds that as soon as someone feels safe enough from reprisal for horsing around with an undoubtedly expensive military project, that sucker will sprout steer horns and a set of those trailer hitch testicles. Can't wait lol.

Pellmell said...

Aw, just found the vid where they did just that, I spoke too soon(or too late?).

Still a cool concept, looking forward to watching it evolve.

Beam Me Up said...

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaa I just knew that someone agreed with me! Just envision it....10 gallon Stetson...boots, chaps....and the ugliest bull you ever did see... somewhere someone is whistling home on the range....

kallamis said...

I'm sticking with my battle cat idea. Just change the head on it. You people seemed obsessed with cow tipping, and stetsons.
That;s it. No more doctor who westerns for you people.