Friday, October 19, 2012

Fly By Wire, Where?

Here is a question for ya...name the conveyance that takes input from the controller, feeds it to various computers through digital input.  These computers then make changes to the various other control systems that control how the vehicle responds.  This system is better known as fbw in many of the systems it is incorporated into. 

Now if you had said the General Dynamic's F-16 Flying Falcon (or Viper) using Fly By Wire tech. you would be right.... but we are not talking about planes.  No, cars!

That's right, in a partial step towards driverless technology, Nissan plans to sell cars controlled by steer-by-wire technology as early as 2013. 

Nissan says that the fbw system would transmit the drivers intention to the proper systems much faster than hydraulic and mechanical systems. 

Also the FBW system insulates the driver from unnecessary feed-back from the road, like uneven or rough driving surfaces.

It is bound to be greeted unenthusiastically by some drivers.  From the article:
  • In 2004 Mercedes-Benz faced customers complaints that its Sensotronic brake-by-wire system - which used an electrical link to control vehicles' brake pads - sometimes failed.
  • Although the vehicles had a hydraulic back-up it meant some owners had experienced longer stopping distances.
  • The firm ultimately recalled about two million vehicles and dropped the feature.
Fly By Wire article here on BBC

2 comments:

kallamis said...

Umm, no. I want to know what I am driving over, and feel it as well. Not to mention I bet I can break that system in less than 15 minutes driving. I always make my vehicles do things that they just were never meant to do. And I wonder just how long such a system would survive a real off road trip. Kind of how I planned on breaking it also.

Beam Me Up said...

Like you I would not be queuing up any time soon for something I feel is damn unsafe. I might not be, but it's kissing cousin ABS might be able to keep wheels from locking, but at the cost of breaking distance in my experience. But then, I am not a fan of antilock or any off shots.