Monday, March 05, 2012

What Has DARPA Got In Mind for This Creepy Robot?

Hey, check out this video of DARPA's possible follow on to BigDog (at least that is what I think..) the Cheetah. Treadmill test show a speed of 18 mph. It can reach these speeds by mimicking the physiology of the fastest land animal, the Cheetah. Though clearly not as robust as BigDog, so supply material is not its main purpose and DARPA isn't elaborating on what the military applications are - but at those speeds, it sure would be good at running things down.......


4 comments:

kallamis said...

What is going to be interesting, is how much bigger and faster they will soon become as the technology advances. And this is what they've shown us, but what haven't they shown us yet. Personally, I need one about 6 feet long, with an AI system, and named Cheetor. Nice to think about one way, but then you have to remember the governments, (all of them). Suddenly, nice becomes terrifying.

Beam Me Up said...

You are going the same way I am....Remember that movie about a mission to Mars with Val Kilmer in it? Remember the creepy catlike robot that went rogue? I know...bad robot themed movies, but that was the first thing I thought of when I saw that thing start up...sent chills it did.

kallamis said...

I think it was Red Planet. Not sure, as I cannot connect to IMDb today apparently. But i think that was it. And yeah, I do remember that. And I agree. I started out with "COOL." Of course, i thought about it, and ended up at the worst thing you can ever hear come out of an adventurers mouth. "Uh-Oh."

Beam Me Up said...

Yep Kallamis that sounds right. Same reaction from me - oh that is so coooooool! and then it Oh frack! and for some reason it was far more frightening than the foolishness of say movies like "I Robot".