Thursday, September 09, 2010

Animation of a 300 mile asteroid hitting Earth

I know, I always seem to gravitate to these type of disaster videos. I have to say that this is one of the better that I first found on Pink Tentacle. It is a simulation of what it would be like should a 300 mile wide asteroid hit Earth. The PT article says that this video was "produced by NHK Japan and the National Film Board of Canada..." It's from a longer piece, but this 10 minute selection makes you nostalgic for the good ole days of global warming!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was VERY COOL!, I loved that animation, it was so surreal; almost life like. I wonder what kind of life would emerge after a catastrophic event like that.

Beam Me Up said...

Anon
Yeah! I am always in that frame. Just what WOULD evolve? Even with the smaller bodies like the one 65 million years ago left the door open to very different lifeforms. But it is these huge planet busters that really clean house. As I understand, the Permian dieoff made the dinosaur extinction event look tame. Is that unreal or what?