Friday, November 09, 2007

10 sf/f Books that should be Movies!

From Geekend and the very fertile imagination of Jay Garmon we read his list of books he would like to see movies made of. He does qualify the list with this comment (I’d rage against the omission of Ender’s Game except that Wolfgang Petersen is working on it. Of course, the same could be said of Rendezvous with Rama, but that daunting project is in a deeper circle of development hell than Ender. Also, HBO is doing A Song of Ice and Fire as an epic miniseries, but I guess the small screen doesn’t count. After what we got with the Sci Fi Channel’s Earthsea miniseries–which infuriated Le Guin–I can maybe understand that. )


1 The Dark Tower by Stephen King
2 Foundation by Isaac Asimov
3 The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson
4 A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin
5 Hyperion by Dan Simmons
6 The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
7 Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
8 The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
9 Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock
10 A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Now, just for argument's sake......

Dark Tower.....uhhhhh DUH! have you read the books?!! do you question the inclusion? My concern is that they do a DUNE on it. The Dark Tower is no more complicated than Herbert's Dune which means that there is every chance that they will completely trash it.

Foundation again DUH! Foundation on the other hand is VERY COMPLICATED which means that you will have to have someone explain the voice over that explains the movie! I was at the showing of Bladerunner and saw everyone who had read the short story leaning over and explaining Harrison's voice over. Which is the same thing that happened to DUNE.... kind of see a pattern developing here? Don't get me wrong, I would love to see these big screen....... Just that it sound be a rule that the producers, directors and screen writers understand the damn book first!

Hyperion....OMG! Yes this should be a movie.....and no it probably won't be....look at what they did with I Robot and run screaming away from this project.

Rendezvous with Rama, is already having a screenplay written for it...right? I will hold my breath and cross my fingers......any of the Kubricks still willing to ruin their careers? Oh I know, that's harsh....but that's only from the people who didn't see 2001.

And as much as I love Zelazny I can not foresee how this could be made without everyone going insane.

Earthsea....ditto on the author's comments and to be quite frank, the rest are fantasy novels....and I know, the title says fantasy and Science fiction...but I don't drool over the thought of a fantasy novel being made...Now that doesn't mean I won't watch them...I would, and will...hell I am looking forward to Tin Man on the Sci-fi channel. Glutton for punishment I guess....(scarecrow with a zipper in his head? groan.....)

4 comments:

Dave Tackett said...

I'd love to see any these! I can't see how they'd condense A song of Fire and Ice, though. Even a trilogy would be too abridged for its Byzantine politics.

Graeme K Talboys said...

Elric is in pre-production with Moorcock's blessing (so far).

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Graeme. I hadn't seen that yet, not that it surprises me at all. It's wildly popular!

Unknown said...

I am with you Wolfkahn! Like a kid in a candy shop, or more like a kid with 5 dollars in the sf paperback section of the news stand! Amazed and unable to choose which to read first! (that was the days when you could buy 3 or 4 paperbacks for under 5 dollars! lol) I just don't see how they are going to be able to do justice to Dark Tower. It's going to have to be a series to rival even Star Wars. I would add Wheel of time to the mix...hopefully they will figure out how he wanted to finish the series.