Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Fred Saberhagen RIP


Locus Magazine online reports:

SF and fantasy writer Fred Saberhagen died June 29, 2007, at the age of 77. He began publishing in 1961 with short stories in Galaxy and If magazines, and published collection Berserker in 1967, first in a series about interstellar killing machines programmed to destroy all life. Saberhagen's 60+ books also included the Empire of the East sequence, beginning with The Broken Lands (1968), the Dracula sequence, beginning with The Dracula Tape (1975), and two books co-written with Roger Zelazny, Coils (1981) and The Black Throne (1990). His last book was Ardneh's Sword (Tor, 2006).

• The family will announce a date for a Memorial Celebration later this year.� Donations would be appreciated to Doctors without Borders, Catholic Relief, SFWA Emergency Medical Fund, and John 23rd Catholic Church in Albuquerque.

Photo by Scott Edelman)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved his Berserker books and stories...RIP, Fred.

Anonymous said...

Oh my yes! so many have passed. I mourn them all. However since Asimov's passing, I can't say that I have had anything affect me on such a fundamental level. no more of these......

Anonymous said...

I remember the day, time and place when I learned of Heinlein's death (something I could not say for many other people)...

But as we've discussed before, not many of the 'originals' left (and even then, what you and I call originals were really the second generation of modern sf writers - there is a whole 1st gen that is mostly lost to everyone)

Anonymous said...

Heinlein? I am not sure if I do or not, but Asimov? Oh yeah. Body blow for sure. I spent all day putting together all my thoughts and posting them on a bulletin board that our group used to operate.